Total Pageviews

Monday, March 14, 2011

Something new

I am in 4-H and I have been taking a steer to the fair for 7 or 8 years now and every year I have taken a Black Angus. Just like everybody else. I believe part of the reason for that is due to the fact that Black Angus is about all that is around our area (southern Michigan). So this year I decided that i would mix it up a bit and take some thing different from the norm. I decided i would get a Brangus, sure they still are 5/8 Angus but I didn't want to stir things up too much and I wanted something within my price range. I also have some books on cattle and one book said that they gain on average about 4.11 lbs. per day! But it does not say what type of feed they are feeding so I doubt I will be able to achieve  results, but I will certainly try to! I had to drive 2 hours to get him, but that was the closest breeder. It was hard to tell the difference from him and the rest of our herd, which is mostly Black Angus, but there are a few features that are different. I am told when he gets bigger, he is around 800 to 900 lbs. right now, that he will start to look more different from the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment